There are so many great places to visit in Europe, that it’s hard to know where to start when you’re planning a trip. From famous cities like Paris and Rome to lesser known regions like County Clare in Ireland, you’ll be spoilt for choice. Here are some European bucket list destinations that you’re sure to enjoy.
Ultimate European Bucket List Destinations
Whether you’d like to take a road trip or a Europe city break, this travel bucket list will hopefully provide plenty of inspiration. It’s quite easy to travel around Europe by road or train.
Depending on how long you can spare, it’s possible to fit in a few countries on your European trip. We’ve made some suggestions for those who are travelling to Europe for the first time and also included some hidden gems.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of these Europe bucket list ideas are more suitable for couples, while others lend themselves well to family travel. The one thing they have in common is that they’re unforgettable destinations!
Below these bucket list tips, you’ll find links to detailed articles about each destination. They contain additional tips on local attractions as well as places to eat and stay.
1. Amalfi Coast, Italy
- Hike along the Path of the Gods for outstanding coastal views.
- Enjoy the gardens at Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo in Ravello.
- Take a cruise in a traditional boat from Sorrento to the island of Capri.
- Explore the picturesque streets of Positano.
- See the 11th century cathedral of Sorrento.
- Admire the 13th century Cloister del Paradiso in Amalfi.
- Buy colorful ceramics in Vietri sul Mare.
- Hang out with the locals in Atrani, less crowded than the other towns.
- Take an open chair lift ride in Anacapri.
2. Bath, UK
- Admire the Roman thermal baths, one of the best preserved in the world.
- Take a tour of Bath Abbey, founded in the 7th century.
- Relax in the rooftop pool at Thermae Bath Spa.
- Eat the famous buns at Sally Lunn’s Historic Eating House & Museum.
- Learn more about the author of Pride and Prejudice at The Jane Austen Centre.
- Cross over Pulteney Bridge, unique for having shops on both sides.
- Enjoy the Georgian architecture at the Royal Crescent.
- Try on some of the clothes at the fascinating Fashion Museum.
- Head to Prior Park Landscape Garden on a sunny day.
3. Budapest, Hungary
- Admire the Gothic Revival Hungarian Parliament building.
- Cross over Szechenyi Chain Bridge on foot or by tram.
- Have a drink in a ruin pub in Pest.
- Wonder at the Neo-Romanesque architecture of Fisherman’s Bastion.
- See the largest square in Budapest: Heroes’ Square.
- Take a dip in the thermal waters at Gellert Baths.
- Visit historical Buda Castle and Palace on Buda hilltop.
- Play chess in the thermal waters of Szechenyi Baths.
- Travel by tram up Gellert Hill to enjoy the views of Pest and the river.
4. Dublin, Ireland
- Enjoy traditional Irish music at O’Donoghues Bar.
- Pull a pint of beer at the Guinness Store House.
- Discover the city’s history at the Little Museum of Ireland.
- Take an arty afternoon tea at The Merrion Hotel.
- Walk in the largest enclosed urban park in Europe.
- Tour Dublin’s Irish whiskey distilleries.
- Visit the colorful pubs and restaurants in Temple Bar.
- Admire the Book of Kells at Trinity College Library.
- Enjoy a private tour from Dublin to Powerscourt House & Gardens.
5. Florence, Italy
- Walk up to San Miniato al Monte Basilica for panoramic views of Florence.
- Cross the Arno river via medieval Ponte Vecchio.
- Admire the black and white Duomo cathedral.
- Be inspired by the Renaissance masterpieces at the Uffizi Gallery.
- Rub the snout of the Il Porcellino statue for good luck.
- Visit a beautiful perfume shop dating from the 16th century.
- See the world famous statue of David by Michelangelo.
- Take a guided walking tour of Palazzo Pitti, the largest museum complex in Florence.
6. South of France
- Admire the Renaissance gardens and fountains at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild.
- Soak up the glamorous atmosphere in Cannes.
- Have a drink next to the Flower Market in Nice.
- Taste a Tarte Tropezienne pastry in Saint-Tropez.
- Wander around picturesque Antibes old town.
- Visit the only International Museum of Perfumery in the world.
- Mingle with the jetsetters in Monaco.
- Discover the charming streets of Saint Paul de Vence and a Saint Jeannet winery on a tasting tour from Nice.
7. London, UK
- Visit the Houses of Parliament and admire Elizabeth Tower on the outside, also known as Big Ben!
- Get one of the best views in London from Primrose Hill.
- Shop until you drop on Regent Street.
- Check out the world’s largest antiques market on Portobello Road.
- Stroll along the Southbank and hop on board the London Eye for panoramic views of London.
- Take a themed afternoon tea.
- Head up to London’s highest public garden, the Sky Garden.
- Take a tour of the Royal State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, then walk around St James’s Park.
- Watch the live performances at Covent Garden Piazza.
- Enjoy VIP early access on a guided tour of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge.
8. Lucerne, Switzerland
- Walk along the famous wooden Chapel Bridge.
- Admire the impressive Lion Monument carved out of the rock.
- Have fun for all the family at the Swiss Museum of Transport.
- Enjoy a day trip to Burgenstock spa hotel.
- Take the cable car to the top of Mount Pilatus.
- Savour traditional specialties at the Old Swiss House restaurant.
- Take a day tour to majestic Mount Titlis with an expert guide to see Glacier Cave and the suspension bridge.
9. Paris, France
- Get priority access to the Eiffel Tower’s second level and admire the panoramic views of Paris.
- Explore the hilltop Montmartre district and visit Sacré-Cœur Basilica.
- Visit the Louvre Museum to see the Mona Lisa.
- Walk along the Champs-Élysées from Place de la Concorde to the Arc de Triomphe.
- Stroll around Saint Germain and stop for a drink at Cafe de Flore.
- Discover the museums and charming squares of Le Marais.
- Walk across the Pont Neuf, the oldest bridge in Paris.
- Relax in the 17th century Tuileries Gardens.
- Take the Promenade Plantee raised park walkway from Bastille.
- Head to Rue Saint-Honoré for luxury Paris shopping.
10. Prague, Czech Republic
- Check out the John Lennon wall in Mala Strana.
- Have a drink at the rooftop bar of the Dancing House.
- Wonder at the revolving head of Franz Kafka.
- Cross the Vltava river via the 14th century Charles Bridge.
- Taste contemporary Czech cuisine at Zinc Lounge & Bar.
- Admire the Art Nouveau architecture in Prague city centre.
- Take a guided tour of Prague Castle, dating from the 9th century.
- See the oldest operating astronomical clock in the world.
11. Reykjavik, Iceland
- Take a luxury yacht tour to see the Northern Lights.
- Catch a play at Harpa Concert Hall and admire the contemporary architecture.
- Take in the views from the top of the largest church in Iceland.
- See the Sun Voyager statue on the shoreline.
- Taste modern Icelandic cooking at The Grillmarket.
- Experience the Blue Lagoon and the Golden Circle on a small group tour.
12. Rome, Italy
- Admire St. Peter’s Basilica and the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican City.
- Climb the 18th century Spanish Steps.
- Explore the Roman Forum and the ancient city of Rome.
- Have an Aperol Spritz on Piazza Navona.
- Take a tour of the Colosseum and Arena with Gladiator Gate entry.
- Stick your hand in the Mouth of Truth ancient marble mask.
- Stroll around the picturesque Trastevere district.
- Wander around tranquil Villa Borghese gardens.
- Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain and make a wish to return.
13. Seville, Spain
- Admire the Moorish architecture of the Royal Alcazar – take a skip the line guided tour to avoid the queues.
- Dine at El Rinconcillo, the oldest restaurant in Spain.
- Visit the Gothic Seville Cathedral.
- See the charming streets and craft shops in the Santa Cruz quarter.
- Take a boat ride at Plaza de Espana.
- Enjoy the views of the Giralda Bell Tower from the rooftop bar of Hotel Dona Maria.
- Marvel at the Mushroom, aka Metropol Parasol, the largest wooden structure in the world.
14. Tallinn, Estonia
- Enjoy one of the best preserved medieval towns in Eastern Europe.
- Head up Toompea Hill for fantastic views of the Old Town.
- Marvel at the planes and submarines in Seaplane Harbour museum.
- See the unique Russian Revival style Alexander Nevsky Cathedral.
- Taste delicious Estonian food at some of the great Tallinn restaurants.
- Walk on the Edge of the Tallinn TV Tower.
- Head to hipster Kalamaja for cool bars and boutiques.
- Admire the Baroque architecture at Kadriorg Palace, one of the most beautiful European palaces.
15. Venice, Italy
- Head to Burano island to see the colorful houses.
- Stand in St. Mark’s Square and soak up the atmosphere and views of the Basilica.
- Take a gondola ride around the canals.
- Cross over the Grand Canal via the famous Rialto Bridge.
- Wander around the pedestrianized streets in Dorsodouro.
- Enjoy a Venetian cooking class in a local home.
- Take a Secret Itineraries tour of the Doge’s Palace.
- Admire the contemporary art at the Peggy Guggenheim Collection.
- Get a panoramic view of the Grand Canal from the terrace of Fondaco dei Tedeschi.
Hopefully these travel bucket list tips have inspired you for a future European trip. There are some other great cities like Barcelona and Vienna that are well worth a visit when you have time.
Like these European bucket list suggestions? Pin for later or share with friends.