It’s that time of year when skin could do with an extra boost to stay hydrated. I was therefore delighted to be invited to One Aldwych, a luxurious five star hotel in the heart of Covent Garden and Theatreland, to experience the Signature Glow Facial by OSKIA London and to pick up some Summer skincare tips to share with you.
One Aldwych’s health club and spa is a relaxing space set over two floors, with a comfy reception area and display of the skincare and nail treatments available. There are three treatment rooms and the Health Club’s expert therapists will adapt your facial to the needs of your skin. My facialist, Tatiana, didn’t seem phased by the fact that my skin can be both oily and dry at the same time, so quite a challenge! There are four OSKIA treatments on offer:
– Signature Glow Facial (75 minutes) – a radiance-boosting facial that combines anti-ageing and glow-inducing techniques to illuminate skin.
– Gentlemen’s Facial (60 minutes) – with a deep steam-cleanse, stimulating facial massage and a soothing neck and shoulder massage.
– Glow on the Go (45 minutes) – incorporating deep cleansing methods with OSKIA facial and eye massage techniques for brighter, younger-looking skin.
– Eye Wonder (45 minutes) – an anti-ageing and anti-fatigue treatment to soothe over-worked eyes, reduce puffiness and strengthen the eye contour.
The treatment rooms are spacious and decorated with a pretty sprig of lavender on the massage bed. OSKIA was founded by Georgie Cleeve who witnessed first-hand the skincare benefits of MSM, a natural form of organic sulphur. She tried MSM to repair damage to her knees after a skiing accident and was amazed to see major improvements to her complexion, hair and nails. Not only does it boost collagen production, it also promotes circulation and helps decrease skin inflammation. OSKIA products are designed to improve the skin’s condition from both the inside by way of supplements and the outside with natural skincare products. They have won 39 major international skincare awards, and their Renaissance Mask has won 9 best mask awards.
I noticed what may look like an instrument of torture, however having quizzed the therapist, it’s actually a steamer that very gently opens up the pores for the most effective treatment. Firstly she thoroughly cleansed and exfoliated my skin before moving on to extraction. If your skin is blemish free then you can skip this stage but it was certainly effective. I’d recommend having the facial the day before a big event or even a few days before as my complexion looked wonderful once it had settled down – on the evening itself it was still slightly red. After facial massage and application of the Renaissance mask and Super 16 serum, my hands were also exfoliated. Finally, I was treated to a very relaxing back massage using melted wax from an OSKIA candle.
1. Use an oil-free and fragrance-free SPF all day over your entire face and body.
2. Switch to light oil free creams and serums as your skin will be producing more sebum which may otherwise lead to clogged pores.
3. Try blotting paper instead of powdering your face, it will give a wonderful dewy complexion.
4. Remember your neck and décolletage – they also need cleansing and moisturizing to look their best.
5. Exfoliate regularly to remove dead skin cells, 1-2 times a week is advisable. Avoid using body and facial scrubs with coarse granules, instead choose an exfoliant with fine silica granules or AHAs.
6. Don’t forget your hands – try to exfoliate them a few times a week, use a rich moisturiser and always apply an SPF. I’m certainly going to put this into practice.
7. Look after your upper arms – I wasn’t aware that around 40% of the population suffer from Keratosis Pilaris, the little red bumps on the back of your upper arms. It’s a genetic condition but you can minimize it by daily exfoliation or by using a natural body brush and moisturizing with a vitamin and AHA rich cream.
8. Prepare your skin internally before hitting the sun. Eat anti-oxidants such as brightly coloured vegetables, anti-inflammatories such as avocado and mackerel and consider taking MSM supplements.
After my treatment, I took advantage of One Aldwych’s great Health Club after my treatment – starting with the Technogym equipment and a very quick dip in the 18 meter chlorine-free swimming pool. It actually plays underwater music so it’s a very relaxing experience! I didn’t stay in long as I was concerned about undoing the effects of my facial but I needn’t have worried as my facialist told me afterwards that it didn’t matter at all.
One Aldwych had really thought of everything as to finish, I was offered either cocktails or a healthy light dish-to-go. Normally I’d be up for the cocktails but with the holiday season fast approaching I decided to be virtuous and opt for their Quinoa with peas, broad beans and smoked almonds. Freshly prepared from Executive Chef’s Dominic Teague’s new Indigo restaurant menu, it certainly didn’t skimp on flavour and had a very tasty sauce.
OSKIA London signature facial at One Aldwych, London WC2B 4BZ
For more information or to book, call 020 7300 0600